Monday, August 27, 2012

THE OLYMPIC CHALLENGE


THE OLYMPIC CHALLENGE
 

The average Olympian (worldwide) trains 23 hours a week.
That’s about 4 hours a day, six days a week.
For 8 years.*
And it's all to receive five minutes of fame.
 

Think of that. All “the blood, the sweat, the tears,” the training, the discipline, the pain. All dedicated to earn a gold medal. These men and woman give their lives away for this sole purpose. Something momentary. Something that will go no further than this life.
 

How many Christians can say we spend this kind of time in training to advance Christ’s kingdom: spending time in His word, praying to Him, and meditating on His precepts? Yet for how much more we strive! How much more we will gain by it! We do not struggle for temporary gain, but an eternity of glory.
 

“Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.” (Gal. 6:7-9)
 

The challenge:
 

Train like an Olympian.

Option 1: Pre-Olympian training. Spend 15 minutes a day praying, 15 min reading the Bible, 15 min memorizing, 15 min meditating.

Option 2: American Olympian (Americans average 12 hours per week in training). Spend 30 minutes a day praying, 30 min reading the Bible, 30 min memorizing, 30 min meditating.

Option 3: Worldwide Olympian. Spend 1 hour a day praying, 1 hour reading the Bible, 1 hour memorizing, 1 hour meditating.
 

The goal is to go from pre-training, to Olympic training, by building up strength, so that we can truly compete. Imagine entering the 1500 without having ever trained! We would be laughed out of the stadium. Yet that is what most of us Christians are doing today, and we wonder why we so rarely succeed.

 
We may have wonderful, noble goals to love the Lord with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, but fail to sow the seeds to the Spirit. We end up being frustrated Christians who fail miserably because we have never trained.
 

Imagine if someone I dearly love asked me to bench press 150 pounds. Do you think could I do it? No! And no matter how much they shouted at me to try harder, regardless of how much I love them, that still will not enable me to lift it. But, if they gave me training for a few years, developed those muscles, I could. I could lift more! That is the goal. Training is not so that you become legalistic, arrogant in all your knowledge, or overwhelmed and exhausted (though it may be tiring at times, just ask any Olympian), but to deepen the passion for Christ through the exercise of spiritual muscles.

 
Will you commit to training? Bring your whole being into this, zealous for the Lord!! For what we will gain is so much superior to the prize of an Olympian. I’m not big into guilt trips. It’s a serious commitment not to be entered lightly, but I do hope that you will consider the spiritual benefits to this. God will not be mocked. You WILL reap what you sow.
 

Come, join me!

 
If you want more information, or want to let me know you are joining the Olympic challenge, message me! I will be glad for the encouragement!


“And LET US NOT GROW WEARY of doing good, for in due season we WILL reap, IF WE DO NOT GIVE UP.”
 

(*Based on research done by my Daddy)
  


source

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sincerely wondering if you are going to comment. Given you just read that blog post (or maybe skim read, at best, or maybe you've just skipped to the bottom). But, either way, whether you read it or not, NOW you have no doubt that I am crazy, are wondering if I am worthy of your time, and if it even matters that you say something. BUT, it does!!! Drop me a line! Can't tell you I will always respond coherently, but I WILL respond! And the comments... Well, they rather make my days. <3