Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Quotes

I like to take quotes from a variety of sources highlighting a variety of truths. I don't know why, but I just LOVE quotes. I have a document on my computer that is 30 pages long of just quotes from everywhere and everything! I love it when my friends share awesome quotes too!!!
Here are some of my favorites:

“Soft countries breed soft men.  It is not the property of any one soil to produce fine fruits and good soldiers too.” Herodotus – The Histories  (p. 543, lines 16-18) Context: Cyrus warns the Persians to consider the fact that they would be ruled by another (their soldiers and farmers) rather than being a part of the leadership (because there sitting at home).
Why I pray my sons, (and my husband), will know how to work hard.

“Of course you cannot know a man completely, his character, his principles, sense of judgment, not till he’s shown his colors, ruling the people, making laws.  Experience, there’s the test.” Antigone: by Sophocles 194-198 page 67 Context: Creon is taking power and is telling the people that they will find him to be a man of judgment.  He will listen to reason.  The irony is that he will end up not listening to the people and this will lead to his own ruin.
A very good thing to remember when, as we are right now, ready to elect a new leader.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely." My Daddy. One of my favorite quotes of all time!

“A man of true courage and magnanimity should be forbearing when he comes under political attack.” Plutarch – The Age of Alexander  (pg. 91, sect. 25) Epaminondas. [Directly before he and Pelopidas were put on trial for not resigning the office of Boeotarch in the first month of the new year].
Anther good one to remember.

Ok, this is not a quote, but how could I resist?

“What’s the good of glory, magnificent renown, if in its flow it steams away to nothing?” Oedipus at Colonus: by Sophocles p. 299, line 274 Context: Oedipus speaking to the people at Colonus.
Why I will never "try" to be famous. In the scale of eternity, it means nothing.

“The dolphin’s strength deserts him on dry land.” Plutarch – The Age of Alexander (pg. 189, sect. 3) -Ion of Chios
This one makes me smile. I like it! :D

“Boldness can triumph over fortune and courage over superior force: while there are no defenses so impregnable that they will keep out the brave man, there are likewise none so strong that they will keep the coward safe.” Plutarch – The Age of Alexander (pg. 314, sect. 57) -Alexander the Great
This is great. Pun intended.

“Most rich men either make too little use of their wealth through miserliness, or too much through extravagance, and so live in perpetual slavery, the one class to their business, and the other to their pleasures.”  Plutarch – The Age of Alexander pg. 71, sect. 3)-Aristotle
I pray God gives me just enough in life. Enough to make me still realize I will ALWAYS need him to provide, but enough to make me never afraid I will not be able to feed my family.

“There are many occasions when words are useless, and only deeds will make a man’s meaning plain; often enough, too, it is easy to talk – and only to talk, for no brave act follows.” Herodotus – The Histories  p. 183 Context- Darius was talking to Otanes about not just planning, but actually overthrowing the Magus.
As much as words are one of my absolute favorite things in life, I suppose this is true. (I will sigh in resignation, lol!)


“It is often a comfort to the envious to make out those whom they cannot surpass to be in some way inferior to others.” Plutarch – The Age of Alexander (pg. 92, sect. 25) Plutarch [when speaking of Menecleidas’ envy of Pelopidas].
Good to remember.

"Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood - the virtues that made America. The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, and the get-rich-quick theory of life." Theodore Roosevelt.
I love how thorough and precise he is at pinning down the things that will destroy (and have already begun destroying) this nation.

“I was thinking and it came to my mind how pitifully short human life is- for all these thousands of men not one will be alive in a hundred years time.”  Herodotus – The Histories Page 390: book seven: fret 46. Xerxes while looking at his huge army.
Aw, yes, without God, how pitifully short it would be indeed!

“The jury does not sit to dispense justice as a favour, but to decide where justice lies.” The Last Days of Socrates, Plato, page 63. Context: Socrates questions the jury.


“Whoever thinks that he alone possesses intelligence, the gift of eloquence, he and no one else, and character too…such men, I tell you, spread them open—you will find them empty. No, it’s no disgrace for a man, even a wise man to learn many things and not to be too rigid.” Antigone: by Sophocles Lines 791-795 p 95 Context: Haemon is rebuking Creon and telling him that others think Antigone is innocent so he should relent.
Oh, I love it! There is so much to learn in the world! Don't know how anyone could think they possess all the knowledge in the world! Only God can...(and I'm GLAD He does!!!)

"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible." George Washington.
This man had it right.

"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." Mother Teresa.
I relate.
 

"Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard." Don't know where I found this one...


“It is not so much through words that enables a person to grasp the meaning of things, but rather that it is the knowledge of things which help them to understand the words that are denoted.”  Plutarch – The Age of Alexander  (p.188,9)  Context: General statement
Very true. You may know the definition of grace, but if you cannot employ it, it means nothing.


“Readiness to listen to good advice comes to much the same thing as being wise oneself.”  Herodotus – The Histories (pg. 381, sect. 16a) –Artabanus
:D

“The world, it seems to me, is divided into the wise, who think they are fools, and the fools who think they are wise.” - The Best Things in Life  (p.54)
LOL, yes.

“Virtue, like a tough and hardy plant will take root and flourish in any place where it can lay hold upon a noble nature and preserving spirit.” - The Age of Alexander  (p.188)  Context: Plutarch again talking about Demosthenes.
Praying to be that noble nature and perserving spirit.

“On noble subjects all men can speak well.” Plutarch, (pg. 311)- Callisthenes, a foreigner, delivers a speech to the Macedonian nobility including Alexander. Alexander criticizes him by quoting Euripides’ line from the Bacchae.
Nothing I dislike more than someone using a word flippantly, or to their own end, and thus ruining its true meaning.

"Those who will not be governed by God, will be ruled by tyrants." William Penn
Oh, yes.

Well, I better stop. I could put all thirty pages down....
Hope some of you like these....


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sincerely wondering if you are going to comment. Given you just read that blog post (or maybe skim read, at best, or maybe you've just skipped to the bottom). But, either way, whether you read it or not, NOW you have no doubt that I am crazy, are wondering if I am worthy of your time, and if it even matters that you say something. BUT, it does!!! Drop me a line! Can't tell you I will always respond coherently, but I WILL respond! And the comments... Well, they rather make my days. <3